Ultrasound showed benign hemangioma. Is there anything I can do about the nodule?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
A recent ultra sound showed a 0.8 echogenic nodule on the left lobe of my liver, likely a benign hemangioma. I had a left partial nephrectomy 1.5 years ago and all is well. Is there anything I can do about the nodule, is it serious. I have taken tylenol 3 for the past year as well. Does this have any bearing on my condition? I am supposed to have an ultra sound in 3 months, but my Dr. said he'd order a CT scan to ease my fears, but did not really want to expose me to radiation now since I had an MRI a year ago and am scheduled for one at the 2 year date of the discovery of my kidney cancer. thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Benign hemangioma is a benign liver tumor mass arising from blood vessels and is usually a harmless condition which is commonly found incidentally during investigations like ultrasound or Ct scan.
It is found in about 7%of healthy people suspected to be congenital or developed with likely risk factors such as age (30 to 50 ) yrs, female hormone related either pregnancy or hormone replacement therapy(HRT).
It's not related to intake of Tylenol or any common analgesics or medicines.
It is usually small and a symptomatic, and doesn't require any treatment.
In rare cases with large hemangiomas causing pain or bleeding surgical removal might be required.
Your doctor is right in waiting for investigation as there is no urgency and you can consider waiting till ct scan assessment of renal cancer for confirmation.
An ultrasound itself is sufficient for diagnosis if done with expertise.
Hope I have answered your query.