Ultrasound showed anteverted enlarged uterus, thick endometrium. Is this serious?

Mar 2016

My ultrasound says Anteverted enlarged uterus of 10.6x6.9x5.2cms. Endometrium 2cm thick, bulky uterus with ? submucous fibroid/ polyp. Size of the fibroid is not mentioned. Pls explain what does this mean. Is there fibroid? If so is it big one?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to explain this.

Normal size of uterus is 8 cm x 6 cm x 4 cm (average) and endometrium thickness vary from 3-14 mm according to menstrual phase.

Your ultrasound report reveals quite enlarged uterus (bulky) with thickened endometrium. It may be due to hormonal effect or some underlying pathology like submucous fibroid, polyp, endometrial hyperplasia etc as there is no extra uterine mass.

To confirm intrauterine mass, you may undergo hysteroscopy to get detailed picture on this after consultation with your gynecologist. Endometrial biopsy following D & C may be needed.

If you are asymptomatic (75% cases) with bulky uterus, then you have nothing to worry as most of the fibroid are benign. Otherwise you may need to take specific treatment to alleviate presenting features.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health. Good luck.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Ultrasound showed anteverted enlarged uterus, thick endometrium. Is this serious? 11 minutes later
My gynecologyst told that there is submucous fibroid and nw I am under homoeopathic treatment. Am I on the right way of treatment?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for your follow up query.

Homeopathic treatment is slow effective. I can't comment on this protocol.

There are several treatment modalities under allopathy or modern medicine. You can consult with your gynecologist for appropriate medication which helps to shrink fibroid size effectively within 3-6 months with reduction of presenting symptoms .

Hope it helps you. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen