Ultrasound showed 3 small cortical cysts on the kidney upper left and lower pole. Should I be worried?

An utreasound found 3 small cortical cysts on the right kidney upper left amd lower pole.. Should I worry?

Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

There are two basic types of cysts that are found in the kidney: simple cysts or complex cysts (there are different causes for complex cysts)
Simple cysts are the ones that are most commonly seen, they are not associated with cancerous change and are present in 35% of persons over 50. It is actually stated that a person over 70 who does not have at least one simple cyst would be in the minority in his/her age group.
These simple cysts do not normally cause any symptoms at all and would not be harmful to you. In rare instances persons can experience pain.If it does cause significant symptoms , treatment may involve aspiration(removal of the fluid in the cyst).

Complex cysts- to be called a complex cyst there must be some irregularity with the cyst or in its wall (irregular shape, walls very thin or thick, breaks or septum in the walls), calcium deposits may also be seen.None of this was described in what you reported above.
Complex cysts are associated with an increased risk of kidney cancer. Treatment usually involves active surveillance (repeated ultrasounds or CT to assess the cyst and any changes).

Unless your doctor states other wise, these cysts are likely to be simple cysts and will not cause you any harm
You may want to consider speaking to your doctor to find out whether the radiologist thinks they were simple or complex cysts.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions