Ultrasound scan showed low lying placenta and grade 0 maturity. What is the problem?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
what is the problem if the ultrasound scan shows the result as Placenta is lower part and Grade 0 maturity
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 minutes later
The problem depends on gestational age.
Usually in early gestational age the placenta could be some what low lying and with progression of gestational age it will move upwards. It is called migration of placenta.
The placental grading will be given according to its maturity.
So if the woman is in early gestational age and placenta is not approaching the cervical os, no need to worry.
There is more possibility for maturation.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Ultrasound scan showed low lying placenta and grade 0 maturity. What is the problem? 37 minutes later
gestational age is 15 weeks 5 days

At around 16 weeks of gestation grade 0 placenta can be considered as normal.
If the lower margin of the placenta is not reaching the cervical os, there is more possibility for migration of placenta.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Ultrasound scan showed low lying placenta and grade 0 maturity. What is the problem? 3 minutes later
Doctor said it is not reached cervical , doctor suggested to use maintane 500g injection for one month, so my wife is little bit worries and also she is scared, she needs a normal delivery, first time she had nornal delivery she does not have any probelm of placenta earlier. so we are worried now. Please tell us are we good ?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 minutes later
As the placenta didn't reach the cervical os, there is possibility for migration.
You can use the medicine prescribed by your doctor.
If the placenta moves upwards, as per as placenta is concerned you may expect normal delivery.
But you have to need regular followups and antenatal checkups to observe this.
Don't worry, hope for the good.