Ultrasound report states uterus is bulky, gravid. The organ is heavily scarred. Yolk sac/fetal pole could not be confirmed. Meaning?

can u tell me what this ultrasound means.........1) uterus is bulky, gravid. the organ is heavily scarred. 2) single intra-uterine G.sac is seen in situ. 3) yolk sac/fetal pole could not be confirmed. 4) average is 14.3mm and last os is c;osed
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see below

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

1. Bulky uterus is consistent with pregnancy. However the scarred tissue ay represent healing from a previous surgery if you have had one or benign changes in the uterus.

2. Single intra uterine gestational sac means you have just one growing fetus as opposed to twins or triplets with 2 and 3, respectively.

3. Yolk sac represents where the growing product of conception(fetus) is. This is often difficult to see in early pregnancy and may need a follow up ultrasound to make sure all is okay. For how long have you been pregnant or better still, when did you last see your menses?

4. This is the cervix and the length is measured to be 14.3mm. The external os (opening/entrance) is closed and this is a good finding in pregnancy.

In all, I will suggest that you get a follow up ultrasound in about 3-4weeks to take a second look at the fetal pole to be so sure of the complete integrity of the pregnancy.

I hope this addresses your query fully and guides you. Thank you for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications if need b. Thanks.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Ultrasound report states uterus is bulky, gravid. The organ is heavily scarred. Yolk sac/fetal pole could not be confirmed. Meaning? 1 hour later
thank you and yes i have had 3 csections my last csection was 1 year ago and my lmp was 16 august 2013
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for following up with me.

I will suggest that you consider controlling this ultrasound report for the fetal pole information in 4weeks as the pregnancy is still very early.

I wish you well throughout your pregnancy and delivery. Please, take very good care during pregnancy as your past history makes this a high risk pregnancy thatat needs close monitoring.

Thanks again for using our services. If you have no further questions, you may consider closing the discussion and writing a short review to help us ameliorate and better serve you next time. Thanks.
Dr. Ditah, MD