Ultrasound report showing Hydronephrotic changes with calculus seen in upper calyx. What are the findings and required treatment?

Feb 2013

My son who is 17 yrs, a Ultrasound report says;
Left Kidney: Shows hydronephrotic changes with calculus of size 4.9mm seen in upper calyx and calculus of size 6.5mm seen in lower ureter.
Impression: Lt renal calculus with it sided hydronephosis with lower ureteric calculus

Kindly advice for immediate best treatment
No record from family history about the diagnose.
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consult urologist for intervention and evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through the reports you sent along with this query.

The report is showing two stones on left side one is in kidney and the another is in lower ureter.

And there is enlargement of left kidney due to obstruction of that side ureter because of obstruction.

The stones has to be removed or destroyed to relive the obstruction so that the further damage to kidney function can be prevented.

And ask the child to drink plenty of water to maintain a good urine output.

And child should be investigated for metabolic problems with tests to look for any underlying metabolic problem which will predispose for stone formation such as high calcium, high uric acid, and abnormal phosphorous in the blood.

Therefore I suggest you to consult the urologist for further management.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.