Ultrasound report says bilateral ovaries mildly enlarged with multiple small peripheral follicles. Meaning?

Ultrasound report says "bilateral ovaries mildly enlarged with multiple small peripheral follicles" Course of action and concerns?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
Normally ovaries are solid structures containing plenty of follicles which mature to release ovum. In your case, the solid ovaries are studded with cysts. Such a condition is referred to as 'polycystic ovaries'.
The chances of normal ovulation is less from a polycystic ovary. But after adequate treatment a successful ovulation and normal pregnancies have been seen in bilateral polycystic ovaries.
It can cause irregular cycles, hair loss and weight gain. In case there are symptoms or there is a difficulty in conception then hormonal treatment is needed.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Ultrasound report says bilateral ovaries mildly enlarged with multiple small peripheral follicles. Meaning? 4 minutes later
I am unmarried. So concerns related conception is not my top priority now. I have very irregular periods. Last time I had my period was XXXXXXX 11. I haven't got my period after that till now. I have a lot of facial hair growth. Should I take up a treatment now? Or should I wait till later when I actually need to conceive.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Since your periods are irregular and there are a lot of facial hairs too, it is best to take a hormonal treatment to regularize your cycles.
This will help with your other symptoms too. You can consult your gynecologist for the same.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.