Ultrasound report saying Anechoic cyst in ovary. Is it critical?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My wife's ultrasound reports says,"RIGHT OVARY SHOWS A ANECHOIE CYST OF SIZE 35 X 32 30 mm."
What does it mean. It is some type of stone or anything else?
Is it critical? Pls suggest. However we have taken appointment with doctor for Monday evening but I am afraid about it.
Posted Fri, 18 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 26 minutes later
Hi there,

I have read and understood your query.

Ultrasonogram is a test is based on the principle that different tissues and structure transmit sound waves differently. Some conduct / transmit sound waves completely - termed as hyperechoic lesion while some do not transmit at all. Anechoic cyst means a cystic lesion that has not transmitted the sound waves.

It would be more helpful if you could provide more information about your wife's health issue because the ultrasound report could suggest more than one cause.

Does your wife have heavy irregular bleeding? If Yes, since when?

Any pain during sexual intercourse? Any weight loss, enlargement of the stomach?

Commonly a Follicular cyst causes an anechoic ovarian cyst picture. I presume your report also mean the same.

A follicular cyst is harmless. It is caused when the egg which is supposed to hatch does not. It accumulates fluid and grows in size presenting as a cyst in the ovary. It may cause mild lower abdominal pain and sometimes menstrual disturbance. Sometimes the cyst may rupture causing some pain but is not usually of much concern.

Usually a follicular cyst disappears in a couple of weeks without requiring treatment.

This condition is not critical. Kindly allay your fears. If you could answer my queries as mentioned above I would be in better position to help you out.

Your wife may consult her Doctor during the scheduled appointment. Kindly be free of worries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Ultrasound report saying Anechoic cyst in ovary. Is it critical? 1 hour later
In last cycle started on 13th had heavy bleeding and it continued to 3-4 days. This happened on last menstrual only and she also got unbearable pain and this time menstrual was for 7-8 days. Generally her cycle keeps normal with normal bleeding for 4-5 days only.

She is underweight. Her weight is only 42 kg but she hasn't lost her weight. Her weight is 40-42 for last 1 year. And there is no enlargement of the stomach.

15 months has passed of our marriage but she is not able to conceive pregnancy. I have got done my semen test which is normal.

Pls suggest what reasons can be of not getting pregnant.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 31 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for writing back.

The menstrual disturbance can be attributed to the ovarian cyst which may be associated with hormonal disturbance. This is a fairly common cause of infertility. If her cycles are irregular, it may be difficult to plan pregnancy.

Since no other cause was noticed on ultrasound besides the anechoic cyst it is probably only due to hormonal disturbance.

Kindly consult with her Gynecologist on Monday and get proper advice and treatment for this condition and also further investigations for infertillity.

Follow-up: Ultrasound report saying Anechoic cyst in ovary. Is it critical? 43 minutes later
Thanks for reply!
But her cycle is not irregular. Her cycle period is 28-30 days every month. And this time her cycle started on time.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Since her cycles are not irregular there is more chance of the bleeding reducing by itself on with hormonal therapy.

Not to worry. You may allay your fears when her Doctor performs a thorough investigation to delineate the right cause of infertility and find the proper management.