Ultrasound on carotid artery done. Does the finding mean artery is blocked?

i had a ultasound on my carotid artery on the right side of my neck through life line screening my report came back with large amount of plaque and/or high blood flow psv:181cm/s edv:61cm/s the left side was psv:85/cm/s edv:33cm/s does this mean my artery is 80-90% blocked and if it is not that high how can u dissolve the plaque in there. i am 52 yr old female and pretty healthy this was a surprise
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 5 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
I want to know few more things which are possibly mentioned in report.
1. Are plaques are calcified or not?
2. Is there any mention of percentage narrowing or stenosis or artery?
3.are you hypertensive?

Severe blockage and treatment modalities depends on multiple factors. We will discuss it in follow up.
Looking forward for your response.

Follow-up: Ultrasound on carotid artery done. Does the finding mean artery is blocked? 6 hours later
no metion of plaques being calcified and no mention of narrowing. my blood pressure is130/76. just says large amount of plaque, blood flow is significantly reduced i have no headaches or dizzyness am i in danger of having a major stroke
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 11 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
According to me it is not satisfactory study. PSV means velocity of blood is increased on right side but it not only definitive criteria for stenosis. Stenosis is calculated from cross sectional narrowing of vessel.
If plaques are calcified then there are less chance of stroke as it is chronic organised plaques. Non calcified plaques are fresh which are prone for dislodgement. Your blood pressure is normal. You need further evaluation by CT angiography for exact narrowing or stenosis of vessel.
One more thing if carotid artery has stenosis there must be some symptoms but in your case you are symptoms free. So findings needs re-evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.