Ultrasound on calf due to lumps. MRI to confirm lipoma diagnosis?

Infertility Specialist
I had an ultrasound done on my calf due to a lump that has grown in the last year. Dr. is now going to order an MRI to confirm a lipoma diagnosis. Should I push to have this biopsied.

Radiologist Findings: Smooth oval mixed hypoechoic mass located within the gastrocnemius muscle. Measures 1.5 x 1.2 x 1.3 cm. Mild adjacent edamatous changed noted to the muscle. XXXXXXX vascular signals are present within the lesion. the subcutaneous compartments appears spared. Lesion is quite vascular
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your description, I would like to make a few observations.

1) The mass is small but located within the muscle.

2) This could be a myoma/Lipoma or a dilated vessel (aneurysm) or very rarely some tumor (please note its rare).

3) MRI is good enough to diagnose such lesions. It is very sensitive. It can diagnose if the lump is in muscle, what extent, vascular involement etc...

4) If MRI is inconclusive, then your doctor will himself order for a biopsy, hence don't worry.

5) Do get an MRI done which will help in accurate diagnosis of condition.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back if you have additional queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Wishing you best of health.