Ultrasound of upper left quadrant showed liver size, have high cholesterol. Concern for liver size?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Should I be overly concerned if my ultra sound of my upper left qudrant showed my liver to be 18cm in length? The doctor didn't seem to be to concerned, just said to limit wine to a XXXXXXX 2 glasses and I have high cholesterol 180 which I am working on with losing weight i am 5'11" and 230 lbs
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 36 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

It is not the size only that matter for liver in an sonography scan

Do you have any symptoms related to liver like your diet, nausea, vomiting or Jaundice ?

Did you ever go for Liver Function test done .If yes can you please share it with me? ,

Please do attach the Ultrasound scan report here so that I can have a look and interpret better.

It is generally advised to stop alcohol if there is any abnormality with liver

Regarding high cholesterol - yes, losing weight and fat free diet will help but get a full lipid profile done to see if there in abnormality in the levels

Anticipating your response.