Ultrasound of thyroid shows big gland. Should I be worried?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Today i had an ultrasound of my thyroid and the doc told me that my Thyroid was fine no tumor, no nodule. The only thing that he sais was your gland are big. What is that mean? Is this normal to have big gland for some people or not?
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. If there is no abnormality in your thyroid hormonal levels then this is absolutely normal and you just need to repeat US and thyroid hormones in 6-8 months. It is normal to have big gland because every other organ size differs from man to man depending mostly on genetics. So this is nothing to worry about. But if there is hormonal imbalance then it may indicate certain thyroid disorders,but till your t3 and t4 findings are fine, there is no need for treatment. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards