Ultrasound of pelvis, myometomy, pain, uterine fibroids. Chances of ovarian cancer ?

I got a transabdominal ultrasonopgraphy of my pelvis. I have a prior myometomy 2 years ago where I had fibroids removed. Two years letter I started having pains down my pelvic area. They decided to do an transabdominal ultrasound. My results from my ultrasound they stated " there suggestion of a small mass in the body of the uterus posteriorly measuring 3 to 4 cm., slightly hypoechoic compared to the remainer of myometrium. THey said it can be from a uterine fibroid". I am so worried about ovarian cancer.If i had ovarian cancer developing, by the transabdominal ultrasound could they tell the difference between a fibroid and early stages of ovarian cancer. Right now i am extremely fatique every morning.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
A hypoehoic mass on the uterine musculature is most likely a fibroma only. Ovarian mass arises from the ovary and not from the uterus. They must have mentioned that the ovaries are visualised separately. You need not worry about an ovarian cancer . An ovarian mass can be easily identified as a separate mass other than a uterine fibroid.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Ultrasound of pelvis, myometomy, pain, uterine fibroids. Chances of ovarian cancer ? 21 minutes later
Thank you for your answer . It does make a lot of sense. So an ovarian mass would have a different look? Is the transadominal ultrasound the best way to detect this?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Ovarian masses are best detected on transvaginal sonography. But if the ovaries are seen clearly and they have mentioned the size of your each ovary separately in the report it means that even a transabdominal scan is sufficient.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you an early recovery.