Ultrasound of kidney showed minimal fullness in lower pole renal collecting system. Suggest

I just had an ultrasound of my right kidney due some mild pain in the right flank off and on for the last 7 days.. The report says minimal fullness in the right lower pole renal collecting system. I had the left kidney removed for donation 17 years ago. All blood labs, BUN, Creatine, etc. were normal. They said I could have passed a small stone and said see a nephrologist for an opinion. I was prescribed cipro for 5 days, due to urinalysis with trace of blood as well. Started 2 days ago. Pain is still there a bit, but very mild and not as frequent.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 5 hours later

You have right single kidney and now pain on right flank mild, with mild PCS dilation on Ultrasound.

Being kidney donor you should be vigilant of the kidney function of the remaining kidney. This would include doing blood pressure check , urine routine examination and serum creatinine level they should be checked at least once a year.

The present problem can be because of urine infection, or kidney stone, or it may not be a pain from kidney and may be a musculo-skeletal pain- this you can differentiate if this pain increases by bending forward or twisting your body.

Mild fullness of the collecting system may be a normal variation in a patient with single kidney , but it can also be a sign of obstruction to urine by stone or any other pathology.

Best way out is-
Urine infection can be confirmed by doing urine routine examination and see number of puscells( WBCs ) in the urine.

If your serum creatinine and blood pressure are normal and there is no problem in urine output and pain is reducing- you can watch the situation for 3 to 4 days. if there is deterioration of symptoms you should go for CT scan KUB plain without contrast to find out any stone or any other disease process causing obstruction.

Meanwhile drink at least 2 to 3 liter water everyday.

hope this clarifies your doubts.
best wishes.