Ultrasound of heart. Pressure at a single spot, soreness and redness. Can I be burnt by ultrasound?

Pulmonologist
Question
hey i had an ultra sound on my heart their was considerable pressure and time spent in 1 spot near the chest, this was 10 days ago iam very sore and have a red XXXXXXX their looks like it blisted like a burn havei been burnt by the ultra sound would it damage my heart.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Ultrasound is one of the safest radiological investigations available.

2. You seem to be having developed an allergic reaction to the ultrasound gel used for prolonged period and if not wiped out after the procedure.

3. Such reactions are sometimes seen with sensitive skin types. It is very rare.

4. Don't worry, it won't affect you heart as it is only a skin reaction.

5. You need to visit a dermatologist, get it examined by him and get treated accordingly. Treatment will consist of some local ointment (Anti inflammatory ,anti allergic) and oral medications (anti histaminics).

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Ultrasound of heart. Pressure at a single spot, soreness and redness. Can I be burnt by ultrasound? 21 hours later
Dr Gyanshankar
This is not a rash it seems like a XXXXXXX tissue burn from the ultra sound, the soreness is deeper than the surface burn in the spot where she had the ultra sound for quite some time, and she put more presure their than any other spot of the chess to check my heart. So what do you think has gone wrong, I am still sore in that spot.

Regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 17 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

Tissue burn is not common with diagnostic ultrasound.

Such tissue burns are caused when the coupling media (gel) between the ultrasound applicator and skin is not adequate. Prolonged use at a single position causes development of hotspots which seem to have developed in your case as per your followup history.

The management of these burns are as any other tissue burn - cooling the area, using antibiotic cream for prevention of infection , Analgesics for pain, no external pressure. Do not scratch the area.

You need to visit a physician for assessment of degree of burn. It is however less likely that XXXXXXX organs are affected by ultrasound burns. These burns will heal over a period of 2 to 3 weeks.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB