Ultrasound of abdominal area showed multiple cysts around and in liver. How serious is this?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
i just had an ultrasound of my abdominal area and it showed that i have multiple cysts around and in my liver. a couple are more than 6cm big. I am waiting for my doctor to contact me for a meeting but am very worried about this.
how serious is this
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in

There is no mention of the complains you had which led to the need of going for an ultrasound

Anyway if there are multiple cysts and as big as 6 cms my first impression would be hydatid disease of the liver but I need to have a reported ultrasound and the medical history

Hope this helps
Do write back in detail to help me come to a conclusive impression

Follow-up: Ultrasound of abdominal area showed multiple cysts around and in liver. How serious is this? 4 hours later
Can you tell me what the treatment is for hydatid disease of the liver

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 19 hours later
Hi

Thanks for your followup

Basically describing the entire treatment is out of scope of an online forum

Once the diagnosis is confirmed the treatment will be surgical with your size of cysts

It can be done laparoscopically of surgically

This is followed by long term medical treatment

Hope this helps
DO write back if you have more doubts