Ultrasound indicated endometrial fluid, postmenopausal bleeding and pelvic cramping. Does this indicate cancer?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
The ultrasound indicated endometrial fluid postmenopausal bleeding pelvic cramping little discharge and 6 mm my doctor schedule a d&c. My concern is that it maybe cancerous. Are my concerns real or it's my imagination. Thank you, concern
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: I understand your concerns but endometrial cancer is the last thing to think of. postmenopausal bleeding is common and in most cases this is just sign of endometrial hyperplasia even if you have all these other symptoms. 6mm is upper limit for PM women and it isnt indicating anything at this point. If there is abnormal growth then usually this is just polyp which is much more frequent than cancer. D/C is routinely done just as preventional test and it will reveal any malignant lesion. So it is advisable to do it in women with PM bleeding as it woill rule out any malignancy. Also, most cases of cancer occur 7-15 years after menopause,although it can be seen in your age too. But as I said,there is no point of being concerned and you should just wait for D/C result. If this is negative,you can consider HRT,and if this is positive then this will be early stage of tumor when hysterectomy is compete cure actually. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards

Follow-up: Ultrasound indicated endometrial fluid, postmenopausal bleeding and pelvic cramping. Does this indicate cancer? 1 hour later
Would it be in my best interest to get a hysterectomy. Thank you and have a bless day

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Well, uterus and ovaries dont have some important function in postmenopause,but it shouldnt be removed without indication. So if there is confirmation of possible cancerous or precancerious lesins on DC or bleeding and pain persist despite hormonal therapy,then hysterectomy should be performed. Otherwise, there is no need for hysterectomy as preventional procedure. Try with hormones for a while and see will it help.

Follow-up: Ultrasound indicated endometrial fluid, postmenopausal bleeding and pelvic cramping. Does this indicate cancer? 1 minute later
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: you re welcome. if you have any questions I ll be glad to help.