Ultrasound for thyroid and blood test done. What does the results says?

Excellent

Question
Need help understanding my ultrasound results on my thyroid. Findings are: Right thyroid 4.9 x 1.5x 1.5 cm, Left thyroid 4.6 x 1.3x 1.1cm. Thyroid isthmus 0.2 cm. Thyroid echogenicity is homogeneous bilaterally. 0.2 cm hypoechoic or anechoic nodule anteriorly mid-to-lower pole right thyroid. An identical lesion is seen anteriorly in the mid-to-lower pole left thyroid as well. Results of my blood tests were as follows: T4 Free-0.89 and TSH level was 1.12.
Thank you so much for taking your time out to help consumers to understand more about their thyroid gland.
XXXXXX.
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 19 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Small nodules in thyroid nodules are quite common in females. Most of them are benign infact more than 97% are benign. So most of them can be left alone without any concern. your thyroid function test is normal and nodules in ur thyroid gland are too small and apparently have no abnormal features associated with them. Only other test that can be done to reassure your self is to get FNAC of these nodules under ultrasound guidance. By all probability it will come out as a benign etiology. So i suggest eother you leave them allow and repeat ultrasound after 6 months to see if there is any change in their size or if it is bothering too much to get an FNAC whivh wil help to rule out any neoplasm. My advice is just to follow them up aftet 6 mon to 1 year witj a repeat scan. so dont worry they are by all probability not neoplastic and hence not a matter of concern.
My pratice is to followup any nodule less than 1 cm in size in my patients. Most of them have been left alone wotjout any problem.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Ultrasound for thyroid and blood test done. What does the results says? 10 hours later
I am still experiencing symptoms of hypothyodism even though my blood levels are normal, should I be taking any medicines or get evaulated for possibly a hormone imbalance? Also, will the cysts go away or will they keep getting bigger? Is their anything I can do diet wise to shrink the cysts?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 10 hours later
Weight loss and heat intleranxe are features of hyperthyroidism not hypothyroidism. when your tests are normal how can you have hypo or hyperthyroidism- its only that similar symptoms can be seen without them. No need to take any medicine as of now. Cysts may not disappear completely most of them donot increase in size either. Followup will determine the true nature of its progrwssion. Again nothing to worry -followup Ultrasound will be done afyer 6 mon &if it increases by mor than 50% surgery/aspiration will be considered. Ther is no diet/medicine to shrink them. Tjey grow or regress on their owm. Simple cyst like yours is very much benign -so nothing to worry.
Shivaprasad