Ultrasound done for pregnancy, mild bleeding, stomach pain. Is bleeding normal during pregnancy?

May 2013
Hi Doctor

Jast tuesday (12th June) we went for regular checkup with doctor.
ultrasound report was fine and according to it she was 13 week 1 day pregnant.

Today she would be 14 week 1 day pregnant. Today she experienced very very mild bleeding (probably 4-5 drop of blood). she could only see it when she went for loo. she is also having mild stomach pian.

following are my questions
1 is minor bleeing normal during pregannacy
2 does it point to some serious problem.
3 what mediaction/precaution we should take.

Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 59 minutes later
thanks for the query.

1.minor bleeding can be seen in pregnancy,
the causes for bleeding in early pregnancy are,
-the woman can see spotting at the time of her regular periods,
-when gestational sac getting embedded into the decidua it can lead to bleeding because of injury to blood vessels.
-sometimes if placenta is low lying it can lead spotting,
-as blood supply will be increased to local genital organs minimal friction can also lead to spotting.
-it may also indicate starting of miscarriage sometimes.

2.though many of the above causes are harmless but as miscarriage also sometimes starts with spotting, so better to consult your gynecologist once. have to restrict her activity to minimum,
let her consult gynecologist,
she may be kept on synthetic progesterones as additional protection to prevent miscarriage with your doctor's advice.
she can continue her regular tablets.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Ultrasound done for pregnancy, mild bleeding, stomach pain. Is bleeding normal during pregnancy? 13 minutes later
but since she is on 14th month, dont you think that chances of miscarriage has reduced?

what is "synthetic progesterones XXXXXXX ?

since it is night it will be difficult to get hold of doctor. please suggest precautions
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

yes as you said with increasing gestation the risk of miscarriage decreases but can not be completely ruled out.

synthetic progesterones means, hormones which are having progestinic effects similar to natural progesterone but synthesized out side the body in laboratories.
these synthetic preogesterones could be of many types,
and they can be present in different forms like tablets,injections etc.

if your wife had minimal bleeding only once, and the pain is not increasing then you can wait and watch with restricting activity and taking enough rest,
she can take any one of the tablets like susten 200mg or duphaston 10 mg etc synthetic preogesterones as preventive measure after consulting your doctor at least in phone as she will be much aware of your wife's condition.

but if there are repeated episodes of bleeding and pain is increasing in severity you have to consult the doctor as early as possible.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.