Ultrasound done due to irregular and painful period. Have a modpole cyst on kidney and ovary. Cancer?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have pain and irregular periods the ultrasound showed the presence of a modpole cyst 3.1x3.0 cm with few peripheral calcifications on the right kidney also an anechoic cyst measuring 3.6 x 2.8 cm on the right ovary. the urine test shows leucocytes present and pus as well as epithelial cells (10-15) and bacteria. the blood tests show t.wbc to be 0000 and the lymphocytes 21.60% and the ESR 30mm/hr. Does this mean I might have cancer?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later

Your urine and blood tests are suggestive of bacterial infection than cancer.

Your ovary is showing a most likely benign cyst since majority of ovarian cysts are functional cysts which are physiologically seen during certain phases of menstrual cycle or if pathological more commonly benign than malignant at this young age.

Considering your data, the risk of cancer seems less likely than that of infectious pathology.

Since you also have a renal cyst it is advisable to consult your treating doctor for a thorough evaluation and further work up like CT scan, renal and liver function tests and serum FSH and LH hormone levels.

Your doctor may alternatively start you on appropriate antibiotics first and repeat the scan and blood tests after a couple of weeks, preferably the first week of menses to get a better idea and confirmation of diagnosis.

At present nothing can be said conclusively though the risk of cancer is not high in your case.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.