Ultrasound done before and during pregnancy. What does the value signify?

General Surgeon
Dear Dr,

I wonder if you could kindly help out here. I have the following imaging results - some were during pregnancy and some post - inital issue was likely gallballder disturbance during pregnancy which settled after deliveryDelivery presentations
Infant care following delivery
Sep 05/08 ultrasound - no liver abnormaility
Nov 21/08 ultrasound no liver abnormality
Nov 26/08 ultrasound - hypoechoic lesion likely segment 4B 12x10x8mm rec f/u ultrasound 3 months
Dec 23/08 MRI with and w/out contrast 14mm focalFocal neurological deficitsfattyXanthomainfiltration anteriorAnterior cruciate ligament (acl) injury
Anterior knee pain
Anterior vaginal wall repairsubcapsular left lobe of liver. No solid lesion. suggestion that u/s finding artifactual.
Feb 23/09 ultrasound - subtle echo poor lesion 1.2cm left lobe of liver medial or lateral segment but centralCentral sleep apneanot subcapsular. slight bullseye appreance as slight area of increased echogenicity centrally. Relativly subtle finding and non specific.
March 02/09 MRI with and w/out contrast - mild subcapsular fattyXanthomainfiltration of medial and lateral segment of left hepatic lobe adjacent to falciform ligament - no hepatic lesions or focal abnormalities are seen.
May 13/09 ultrasound - small ech poor focus in left lobe of liver 1.2x1.4 cm does not appear to have changed (accounting for different measuring tecniques)
July 30/09 ultrasound - no liver abnormaility and no recommendation.
I reviewed all with my Dr in Aug 09 (blood work inc liver enzymes were normal) - he stated that he was satisfied that no further action required. I know it has been a while since all this but is it ok to just leave it be - are the above finding indicative of any concern. i have no other known health issues. (in the u/s there were gallbladder polyps under 5mm)

thank you very much

Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 53 minutes later

There is absolutely no reason for you to worry. You and your liver are absolutely fine.
Just forget all the reports which showed some lesion in left lobe.
MRI is more objective investigation than ultrasound (which is highly subjective and has high observor variation). And both the MRI's have shown no lesion in left lobe. Just some fatty infiltration.
So no need to worry. Just decrease your fat intake and I highly recommend a replacement with fresh vegetable and fruit, amounting to 6 servings a day. Home cooked one is even better.

Even for gall bladder polyp of size 5mm, you shouldn't worry. Only polyps which are of more than 1cm are of any concern.

Hope this helps.
Do ask if you have any more question.

Dr. Rajat Gupta