Ultrascan says liver echotexture is little coarsened and increased. What does that mean ?

Have received ultrascan report stating "the liver echotexture is a little coarsened and increased.No Focal legion to be seen." im only 22 years old and dont drink often only socially.I have bad fatigue at the moment.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query
The ultrasound report is suggestive of a fatty liver. Fatty liver can be secondary to -
1) Alcohol
2) Drugs
3) Part of metabolic syndrome wherein a person has diabetes, hypertension, abnormal lipids and may be obese. This usually reflects a poor lifestyle and insulin resistance
Perse Fatty liver usually is asymptomatic and fatigue is seen when it is associated with liver inflammation.
Hence get an LFT done, abstain from alcohol totally and lead an active lifestyle.
Follow-up: Ultrascan says liver echotexture is little coarsened and increased. What does that mean ? 27 minutes later
Thank you very much for your quick reply, just to add to this i recently finished a 1 month cycle of oral anabolic steroid ,after that all these symtoms came .I have checked my blood test 2 weeks after cycle which everything was fine except for alt and ast levels which alt:90 ast:60 later one week tested again alt:60 ast:30. Would the substance that i have taken have effected my painful liver and really bad fatigue that i have now and worsened the fatty liver?
Sorry for asking you alot, just my doctor wasnt too helpful in regards to this.
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the reply
Anabolic steroids have been associated with fatty liver and liver inflammation. Hence stop these and take a high protein low fat diet. Adding some S-adenosine methionine (400mg twice a day) helps