Ultra sound showed presence of crystal in one ovary. Another ovary got removed. Cancer?

Dear Doctor,
I recently had an ultrasound and was told I have a nice thin skinned uterus, but they see some crystals on my remaining one ovary. I had one removed 6 years ago due to dark brown color, but no cancer. I am 63 years old. What are crystals, should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 34 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

These are likely areas of "calcification". This is not unusual to see in various soft tissue structures over time. This is not what we would see with ovarian cancer. So this carries a low level of concern. In a typical patient with findings that seem slightly unusual like this, I would probably schedule a followup ultrasound in 6-8 weeks to see how stable these areas were over time.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions.