Ultra sound report showed appearances of chronic liver disease, dilated splenoportal axis and suspected gastric collaterals

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
ultra sound reprt said, Apperances of chronic liver disease,splenomegaly.dilated splenoportal axis & suspected short gastric collaterals
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 41 minutes later
Hi there.

Do you have any vomiting with blood ?

Do you consume alcohol ?

According to this ultrasound report, the liver is damaged for long time, possibly cirrhosis which is causing pressure in the veins of the abdomen. This can cause bleeding varices from stomach so vomiting of blood, possibility of hemorrhoids later on if care is not taken.

Alcohol, infections toxins can cause this problem. The cause of this has ti be restricted. Medication may be required to reduce the pressure in the abdomen blood vessels otherwise they can cause organ damage and bleeding.

Kindly respond to above queries.

I hope I have answered your queries. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Ultra sound report showed appearances of chronic liver disease, dilated splenoportal axis and suspected gastric collaterals 32 hours later
No Vomiting.she is non alcoholic.but she is patient of sugar for a long time & she has taken Medicine for long time.She has taken Glimpride with Metformin.Kindly suggest what can i do.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 hours later
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

Since there is no history of alcohol consumption, it is possible that she has XXXXXXX (Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis). This is liver damage which is associated with Diabetic patients.

There is no specific treatment for XXXXXXX except proper glucose control. Avoid high carbohydrate diet, fatty diet, junk food, colas. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water.

Get blood sugar tested regularly; monitor and control blood pressure; check your cholesterol status and keep them under normal limits - all these will benefit you in controlling your condition.

Discuss with dietician regarding strict sugar control. Also consult Gastroenterologist or Hepatobiliary specialist regarding possible portal hypertension and it's complication.

I hope I have answered your query. If all your queries have been answered, please close this query.

Wish you good health.