Ultra sonography test showed mild hepatomegaly with severe fatty change. What does this means?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I went Ultra Sonography Test recently and everything is normal except the one i can not understand so i am writing the report below:
Liver:
------
Liver appears mildly enlarged in size with severe degree fatty change. No focal lesion is seen. Intrahepatic biliary channels are not dilated.

Impression: mild hepatomegaly with severe fatty change
Let me know what the above report means and what precautions i can take for cure.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 34 minutes later
Dear XXXXXX,

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

Your ultrasound report suggests that you have Fatty Liver. This occurs in people who are obese, have diabetes or have family history of diabetes or are prone to develop diabetes in future, take alcohol, have hyperlipidemias ie. increased blood cholesterol and triglycerides.

So you should test for diabetes, raised cholesterol and triglycerides. If you take alcohol, then you should stop it. If you are obese then you should exercise and restrict sugars and fats in diet and try to lose weight.

You should get LFT (liver function test) done. In this report if SGOT and SGPT are raised then it would mean that you have a condition called XXXXXXX (non-alcoholic steato-hepatitis if you do not take alcohol). In this scenario it is important to see a liver specialist, for further evaluation.

Hope my answer helps you.

Best wishes.

Dr Dinesh Singal