Ultra scan showed bulky uterus. Is it a life threatening disease?

Question
hello sir,
my mother is 44 yrs old..after her ultrascan the report says that she has mild bulky uterus in size,it is anteverted and measures (9.3*4.5 cm) along the long axis with thickened endometrium and endometrial echoes are midline and measures (20 mm).what is its treatment?i am really worried and concerned sir.is it a life threatening disease?what does these symptoms mean?will she be okay na?
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

As per the ultrasound report mentioned above, the condition most likely is adenomyosis.

Adenomyosis is extra growth of endometrial tissue in to uterine wall. Adenomyosis is limited to uterus.

I would like to ask if your mother has reached menopause or not. Because treatment options change.

If menopause is reached, and symptoms are severe then hysterectomy is preferred while keeping back the ovaries in position.

If menopause is not reached then anti-inflammatory medicines along with progesterone containing intrauterine device will be put for such patients.

This condition is not at all life threatening only weakness may be felt more due to heavy bleeding.

You can discuss with your gynecologist for treatment regarding adenomyosis for your mother.
I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Follow-up: Ultra scan showed bulky uterus. Is it a life threatening disease? 36 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your help.No,my mother has not reached menopause yet.But last month she skipped her periods.And, sometimes she complains that the lower part of her stomach is paining.And twice she excreted a little blood with stool.Is that a big problem?What treatment should be taken?

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 2 hours later

Your mother is approaching menopause as her age is 44 yrs.
So skipping periods or getting frequent periods, heavy bleeding or very scanty bleeding is common during this transition.

If she is having heavy periods with abdominal pain frequently, I would suggest to approach gynecologist so that opinion regarding severity of adenomyosis and hysterectomy can be taken.

Again blood excretion with stool is completely different condition. We need to do examination if she is having piles/fissure, hemorrhoids, diverticulitis and treat her accordingly.

I hope this information clears your doubt. In case of other doubts, feel free to revert back.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Follow-up: Ultra scan showed bulky uterus. Is it a life threatening disease? 47 minutes later
Thank you doctor.One last querry will she be completely fine after taking medicines as per suggested by the gynecologist?Is there any big problem or issue to worry about?

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
As per the ultrasound report, it does not look like other than adenomyosis.
So it gets relieved with medicines or surgery depending on the extent of disease.
Do not worry so much. Consult gynecologist for further management.
Wishing her good health.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.