Ultra Sound showed presence of water in lungs. Infected with tuberculosis and started AKT-4. Why chest pain?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
2 week before i have pain in right chest , Doctor advise me to get the X-ray and blood test,
When i did the X-ray Doctor found some dense area on right side But blood report is normal and advise me for the Ultra Sound .
In Ultra Sound small amount of water was found above the lungs.

after that doctor told me to do mountx test and after 48 hours the result was 18X18

then Doctor told me that i am infected with tuberculosis and started AKT-4

I have 8 month baby and from last week baby is getting fever coming every 2-3 days and doctor advise to have the mountx test, chest X-ray and Blood Test for baby and my wife

X-ray and blood test is normal but mountx test for baby : 15X15 and for wife :12X12

Please advise if my baby I and wife is infected with tuberculosis or do i need to have any other test too
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 47 minutes later
A mantoux test above 10*10 would be considered positive in adults and children above 6 months with moderate risk ,so your wife and baby could be having latent tuberculosis .
Even if the X-ray is normal you need to consult a Chest and TB specialist ( pulmonologist) to evaluate them carry out further investigations if needed like sputum culture for AFB , TB PCR gold etc and start appropriate AKT.
In fact you yourself should have undergone a sputum AFB test which can give an idea if you are contagious and can spread the tb bacilli. If tb bacilli are seen in your sputum ( cough ) then you are considered to be having active infection and your family might need to be started on treatment immediately.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please let me know if you have any further queries.
Follow-up: Ultra Sound showed presence of water in lungs. Infected with tuberculosis and started AKT-4. Why chest pain? 42 hours later
I have done one X-ray and sputum test yesterday that is have attached and also 1 first test reports please check
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Your reports are good
1. You have fluid collection in chest due to Tb probably but now it is healing and chest X-ray is normal. There is no bacteria in your sputum so you are not contagious or not an open case of tuberculosis so your family is not likely to contract it now from you .
2. Your sons X-ray and ESR are normal but mantoux test is positive . If he has any symptoms like fever , poor feeding poor weight gain , cough etc he might need some preventive treatment like Isoniazid for 6 months. If he is absolutely fine one may wait and repeat the mantoux after 6 months for confirmation .
3. Your wife has raised ESR and positive mantoux test so even though her X-ray is normal if she has poor appetite , weight loss , cough, weakness or fever then she should be started on AKT .
Tb PCR is a blood test which can be done to confirm the diagnosis before starting any treatment .
As of now I don't think your son is infected and might not require any treatment since mantoux test in infants can come falsely positive due to bcg vaccination .
But in case of your wife it's best to test her further by a chest physician ( TB specialist) in a good hospital .
Hope I have been of some help to you.
Please feel free to ask any further queries.