Ask a Dentist   »  

Ulcers on tongue. Taking Adderall for adult ADHD and Tums. Advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I am taking Adderall for adult ADHD (taking the generic form, D-Amphetamine Salt Combo, 10 mg in the morning, 10mg in the afternoon.) I have had little white sores / ulcers on my tongue on and off for the past 3 months. The acidity or alkalinity in my gastrointestinal system seems to be way off. I do not know how to get it back in balance without going off of the medication. I have tried Tums but this does not seem to help. Do you have any advice? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The white sores on the tongue can possibly be due to leukoplakia or oral thrush.
Removing the source of its occurrence like avoiding smoking and alcohol consumption with hygienic oral cavity is important and may cause the lesions to disappear.
You can use iodine mouth wash and listerine mouth wash to keep the area clean.
Avoid hot and spicy foods. Using clotrimazole lotion locally on the affected areas might also be helpful.
Regarding your gastric acidity if it is not getting relieved with Tums I recommend you go to the pharmacy to obtain omeprazole 20 mg tablets. You should take one tab with breakfast and one with dinner for 7 days. After 7 days you should take one with breakfast only for 21 more days. This should promote healing and resolution of your symptoms.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Ulcers on tongue. Taking Adderall for adult ADHD and Tums. Advice? 25 minutes later
HEllo Dr. Tayal,

Thank you for your reply. I need to clarify one thing. I have one sore at a time, usually on the tip or side of the tongue. It is the same thing I get when I eat too much pineapple or other acidic food. Knowing this, would your answer be the same?

Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.

It can be due to repeated trauma to the tongue caused by rough foods or acidic drinks.

Taking regular vitamin B- complex supplements will also help in early recovery.

Hope my answer is helpful.