Ulcerative colitis, reactive hypoglycemia, black outs, excessive bowel movement, reactive hypoglycemia, flagyl, asacol, probiotics

I have been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis 3 years ago. I have since than, been expieriencing horrible symptoms. The main being is i developed reactive hypoglycemia and my heart pounds everytime i eat. It sometimes goes for hours and hours. I blackout when i stand up, My sugar goes as low as 49 sometimes immediatley afte eating. i am limited to sitting down, i sometimes feel like im poisioned, but made feeling better by a bowel movement, although i stay sick. i have bowel movements 7 plus times a day. i have an appt. for and endo doc and a gi doc but cannot get in for a few more weeks. im desperate for answers. I also have tried taking Flagyl, asacol, probiotics, and a plain strict meat diet. My heart will not stop pounding. it gives me headaches. I noticed that the blood sugar problem goes away when i fix the gi issues . as it was fixed temporarly when i was hospitalized. the meat diet is because anything sets it off. i even thought of a colon cleanse? My thyroid is ok .. btw
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 20 hours later

You seem to have two different problems.
1. Ulcerative colitis
I expect this is properly established diagnosis based on Colonoscopy and histopathology. as I could read through your symptoms, you have moderate disease activity. You did not mention anything about bleeding. I would also like to know about your most recent hb and ESR . But based on the frequency of seven plus motions per day, you may require rectal mesalamine/steroids or oral steroids depending upon extent of Colonoscopic extent of disease .
2. Reactive hypoglycemia
Reactive hypoglycemia usually is not a part of Ulcerative colitis . It is usually associated with Gastric surgeries for ulcer disease or as a part of neuroendocrine tumors of pancreas. Establishing a diagnosis require elaborate investigations. Once diagnosed, tumors can be resected to relieve symptom. Till then you can take small frequent meals, which may help.