Ulcerative Colitis, fissure. Curable?

Is there any Cure for Ulcerative Colitis. Would be happy to get an answer : Yes or No. I am writing on behalf of My daughter. Presently she has Fissure.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Chron's Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later

Ulcerative colitis is a chronic condition. Treatment (medicines and surgery) are given to relieve the symptoms. The treatment doesn't promise a complete cure. Relapses are very common/

The disease usually manifests in episodes. Once you take the treatment, it usually resolves in 4-6 months. Then it may remain without symptoms for months to years. Relapses are common.

Complete remission is seen but only in 10-15% of cases.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Ulcerative Colitis, fissure. Curable? 2 days later
What should be the diet? She is a Vegetarian. When she gets admitted in Hospital, they serve almost everything. Whereas she lives only in Curd Rice or Dal Rice ? What all she can eat and what she cant? Every year she does get this once , there is no remissions as I heard from you or I read in so many places in Google .
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 58 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

Regarding her diet, while she is suffering from the acute episodes, a light easy to digest food is preferable.

The BRAT diet (i.e, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet like cooked carrots, boiled potatoes etc. can also be taken. Further, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food, fatty foods, sugary foods, dairy products, caffeine, and alcohol until recovery is complete.

Take a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet consisting more of fruits, salads, soups and raw vegetables (after proper washing).

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing her an early recovery.
Follow-up: Ulcerative Colitis, fissure. Curable? 2 hours later
Thanks Doc, We have been trying all these things, but in vain. Thanks for your patience. I have one more Question. When do you think it is appropriate to go for surgery ? Will surgery cure UC? Heres a checklist with answers:
Medicines are not controlling my symptoms. Yes
I have troublesome side effects from my medicines. Yes
My quality of life is poor with my current treatment. Yes
I have complications from IBD. Yes
I have to severely limit my activities because of my condition.
I have had signs of precancerous changes (dysplasia) in my colon. Unsure
I don't have dysplasia, but I am worried I will develop cancer. Unsure
I am concerned about how my body will look if I have an ileostomy. Unsure
I am a woman and I am worried that having surgery will make it harder for me to get pregnant. Unsure
I know complications sometimes occur with surgery, but curing my disease is worth the risk. Unsure
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello and thanks again,

Surgery is considered as the last resort when all other treatment modalities have failed.

It is decision of the treating doctor mainly in consultation with the patient as he is the only person who knows the situation both before and after taking the medicines.

Still as your quality of life is poor and you have to restrict your activities, surgery is an advisable option. Dysplastic changes in colon can be diagnosed by colonoscopic biopsy. If dysplasia is there then surgery is the only option left for you.

Hope my answers are helpful.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Thank you.