My doctor prescribed Avelox to me to treat a UTI. I am having a bad reaction to it (weak, achy, can't concentrate...feels like having a bad flu). I stopped taking it and want to know if there is anything I can do to get it out of my body faster? Or something I can do that may relieve the side-effects?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Avelox contains Moxifloxacin and anemia, fatigue, tiredness etc are frequent side effects of this drug.

First of all you should inform your doctor and get the medicine changed to some other antibiotic. The half life of Avelox is 12 hours and this means that after 12 hours of last dose half the drug will be washed out of the body.

There is no specific medicine to stop the side effects but drinking plenty of water helps in flushing out the drug in the urinary system and doing physical exercises helps in faster metabolism which helps in quick elimination of the drug. Increased physical activity and high calorie diet increases its metabolism.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.