Ask a Urologist   »  

UTI symptoms, bacteria in urine. Prescribed sulfamethoxazole. Thread like organism in urine. Is this dangerous?

I had an intense onset of UTI symptoms last night (pain during urination & urgency). Went to the Dr. today and there was a minimal amount of bacteria in the urine. I was prescribed Sulfaamethoxazole and have had one dose 6 hrs ago. When I went to the bathroom about 45 minutes ago, I noticed a small (1" length),"thick threadlike" organism in my urine. Should I be concerned with this?
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

I can understand your concern but firstly it needs to be checked whether this white worm like white organism is due to vaginal discharge or due to white clumps in urine.

If it is white clumps in urine then it can be due to your recent UTI. Other important possibility is of bladder debris. Parasitic infections like schistosomiasis and filariasis can result in worms in urine which appear as fleshy substances. Then fungal infections like candidiasis of the female genital tract too cause fleshy substance in urine. Bladder cancer, polyps and stones are other reasons but they should only be considered when other possibilities have been ruled out.

I suggest you to get a urine examination done, preferably with the white clump. Other investigations which are needed are a culture swab of the cervical discharge and if need arises a cystoscopy of the bladder.

Till then drink plenty of water and take your antibiotics for UTI regularly.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.