Ask a Urologist   »  

UTI, penis itchiness, urine incontinence, kidney stone surgically removed. Treatment ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
11 weeks ago I had a huge (golf ball size) kidney stone removed. I've generally been in misery since then (I've never had one before). I am now at the tail end (I hope) of a uti, and my penis itches a great deal after urinating. Is there anything I can do? Finally, I've been incontinent at night for the past 8 weeks or so, since the surgery. Anything I can do to alleviate this?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 16 minutes later

Is there any discharge from the penis

Any redness on the penis head

Any burning sensation on passing urine

Are you passing a weak stream of urine after applying lot of pressure

Does the urine dribble after you stop urinating

It is possible you could be having an infection which causes the itching. There could be adjacent infection of the penis head like possibly bacterial or fungal infection as well which can add to the itching.

Usually incontinence of urine after surgery could be due to overactive bladder due to possible bladder infection which can be treated usually by drugs or could be due to possible nerve injury during the surgery.

You need to drink plenty of water during the day to reduce the symptoms of urinary infection but withhold much water at night to avoid incontinence chances and bed-wetting.

You can take a Cetrizine tablet, under medical supervision at night to get rid of the itching.

Do consult your Doctor in this regard to look for a diagnosis to the itching to rule out infections, and also to treat possible bladder irritability causing the incontinence or possible surgical injury as well.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your further queries.