USG of pelvis showed linear tubular anechoic area in left adnexa. What does this mean?

May 2013
got an usg of pelvis and the report says'e/o LINEAR TUBULAR ANECHOIC AREA IN LEFT ADNEXA?TUBAL'. What does this mean?
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 54 minutes later

according to your description the possible causes are,
linear tubular area indicates fallopian tube,
anechoic area indicates some fluid collection, that can be seen in conditions like,
-hydrosalpinx- it can be seen in pelvic inflammatory diseases(PID) when inflammatory fluid collects in the tube with blocked ends,
-pyosalpinx- when pus collection occurs in tube, this can also be seen in PID,
-hemosalpinx- rarely when blood collection occurs in tube as in endometriosis etc.

so the ultrasound findings to be correlated with clinical findings to come to conclusion regarding diagnosis and treatment to be taken accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.