Ask a Urologist   »  

USG detected 9*4 mm stone at vesico ureteric junction calculus measuring 9 x 5 mm. What to do?

My son, his age 20 years, yesterday we did again usg for abdomen, we they detected 9*4 mm stone at "vesico ureteric junction calculus measuring 9 x 5 mm"
Can u please guide whether that flush out with drinking water? he is getting pain at right testcle and propagating to up side(upto rib). some times feeling very sevior pain.(losting 1-3 hrs). we are using homeopathi medicine and also using cyrup- Zydus(KMGcit) from yesterday.

Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 41 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX
Stone more than 8 mm in size in the ureter is usually not passed spontaneously, even with plenty of water and medicines.
It needs to be fragmented by ureteroscopy, which is done under spinal anesthesia and does not take more than an hour.
If not done, there will pain, vomiting, fever, infection, loss of work and potential damage to the kidneys.
so it is wise to get it removed early. Pls consult a nearby urologist.

Follow-up: USG detected 9*4 mm stone at vesico ureteric junction calculus measuring 9 x 5 mm. What to do? 2 hours later
Dear sir, if I understand properly that stone is 9 mm length and 5 mm is diameter. So 5 mm, it is less than right? Please see report for more information
If go surgery what r side effects and how many days need to take rest. Thx
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 9 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your reply.
It is VERY RELEVANT QUESTION. I have had a good look at the report the first time itself.
Though 5 mm diameter is smaller than the long dimension 9 mm, medically the longest dimension is considered for CALCULATION .
He will be discharged in 1 to 2 days and can go to work the day after discharge.
If done by an expert, there are no serious side effects, except minor discomfort and minimal blood in urine.