US shows smaller right kidney. Have low vitamin D and occasional bleeding in urine. Why are tests being done?

hi i have just recently had an ultasound and the size of my kidney on the right is smaller than the left and has also decreased in size since the last ultrasound 10 years ago.
size now is left 12.1com and right 9.75cm, size before was left 12.3 and right 10.7. i have also recently been diagnosed with very low vitamin d and have bleeding occasionally in urine hence why tests are being done, any information would be helpful
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 1 hour later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, it is identified that the left kidney is larger than the right one, independent of gender. A decrease of up to 40% in kidney weight happens over the years (like for you over 10 years), nearly totally due to parenchymal decrease, lesser to decrease in blood supply. But for the blood in urine will recommend to kindly get the tests conducted to rule out the causative concerns like glomerulonephritis, a type of inflammatory kidney disease that causes your kidneys to leak protein red blood cells into your urine, renovascular disease, which involves decreased blood flow to the kidneys due to fatty deposits in the arteries Kindly note that even if further deterioration can be stopped, the damage already done is usually permanent. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks