US showed cystic mass with septation. What does this mean?

I had an u/s a week ago and it said my r ovary measured 5.6x4.7x2.9 cm and that there was a predominately cystic mass in the r ovary measuring in total 4.8x 4.3 x2.5 cm with a septation noted. There is a solid component noted within the cystic structure. No abnormal vascularity is noted in the solid component. What does thos mean? What is this
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 33 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

When we look at an ovarian cyst, there are several factors will determine whether it is "simple" or "complex". These include:
1. Size
2. Presence of XXXXXXX "debris"
3. Septations
4. Solid components

In your case, you have a 5cm complex right ovarian cyst. As far as your uterus goes, you have what sounds like a benign fibroid. Based on your symptoms, family history and appearance of this cyst, it needs to be removed. The most common benign tumor of a reproductive aged women is called a dermoid. This can easily be done laparoscopically. I would contact your doctor and state that this is what you would like done. If they refuse or want to wait, then get a second opinion.

I hope that this helps!