US medical culture, rejection of orthopedic osseointegration, lags behind in technology

Why does the USA medical culture reject orthopedic osseointegration and now lags behind Europe and Australia in implementing this technogly. A travesty for US amputees and war veterans who deserve better function.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query. I think the short answer to your question is that the US is so highly regulated that any revolutionary design, product or medication requires extensive application, review and approval by the FDA. This typically takes many years and generally involves some degree of politics. I reviewed the video you sent and I agree this is amazing technology. This kind of technology is used constantly by implant dentists and it makes physiologic sense why this would work in an orthopedic setting. I understand your frustration in not being able to access this kind of intervention in the US. I am sure this is on the horizon but it will be a matter of how swiftly the application is navigated through the powers that dictate what surgeons can do in orthopedic practice. Most patients do not have the luxury of traveling to a foreign nation to have such a procedure done. It does require some regular followup until all of the hardware has set adequately in bone. I hope I ahve adequately addressed your query. I wish you good health and am available for your followups.