URI showed a lump in the back of my throat. Not painful. Took amoxicillin. Related to smoking?

ENT Specialist
Question
Had URI on 6/23 for 2 weeks. Discovered a "ball" in the back of my throat where the palatine tonsils used to be on right side. Hard to touch. No bleeding. Tissue behind it is swelled as well. I seem to have the same king of tissue on the left side, but less swelling. These lump/bumps seem to be on back of tongue b/c if I stick out my tongue I can just about see them on the tongue. No pain. No fever. Frog in throat feelin that comes & goes & rotates. No blood from said lumps. I was questioning if it were the lingual tonsils. 10 day course of amoxicillin w/no effect. Am a smoker.
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. From your description, the lumps seem to be a part of the posterior third of the tongue. This would include the lingual tonsils or the vallate papillae.

2. Hypertrophy of the lingual tonsils may require a long time to settle down. The odd feling and the throat is common. It is good to hear that there is no bleeding on touch.

3. If you can attach a close-up (or endoscopic) image, it will help identify the swelling. You may XXXXXXX the offending area/s.

4. Treatment should also include anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory and anti-reflux medication. Medicated gargles may help. Smoking should be reduced.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: URI showed a lump in the back of my throat. Not painful. Took amoxicillin. Related to smoking? 24 hours later
Now I may have a swollen lymph node. I don't even know if I do. There's no symptoms of illness except for the swelling in my throat that has a come/go feeling & I feel 2 masses symmetrical about 1/2 or a fingertip away from lower jaw (middle). I'm seriously freaking out now that this is cancer.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. There are about 300 lymph nodes normally present in the head and neck region. They are normally not palpable. They enlarge in response to infection or inflammation and usually do not regress back to their earlier size and hence remain palpable thereafter.

2. The lymph nodes that you feel must be reactive. At your age, the risk of any cancer is low. Another possibility is the sub-mandibular salivary gland itself.

3. Take a trial of medication.If the swelling persists, get a Neck USG (Ultrasound) and an FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) of the lymph nodes. If these are normal, it will settle the issue.

Regards.

Follow-up: URI showed a lump in the back of my throat. Not painful. Took amoxicillin. Related to smoking? 2 hours later
Submandibular glands & mildly swollen lingual tonsils is the answer I got from my ENT today. Didn' even give steroids or Meds just said to wait it out.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The lingual tonsils may require treatment as they are unlikely to settle on their own, especially if the cause is not identified.

2. An antibiotic such as Clindamycin which is secreted in the saliva may be a good option. Steroids may flare up an infections and hence must be used only under antibiotic cover.

3. Treatment should also include anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory and anti-reflux medication and medicated gargles.

Regards.