Typical dose of Benadryl for adults to counteract itching?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
What is a typical dose of Benadryl for adults to counteract itching?
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 29 minutes later
Thank you for your question.
The usual dosage of Benadryl for adults is 50mg 4 to 6 hourly. The maximum allowable dose in 24 hours is 300mg. One of the side effects is drowsiness therefore, you need to be careful regarding driving. This assumes an average body weigh.
I hope this information has helped. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger

Follow-up: Typical dose of Benadryl for adults to counteract itching? 4 hours later
Are there other anti-itch medicines I could take that do not make me so sleepy?

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 hours later

Chorpheniramine (chlorphenamine) is an over the counter drug which has less sedative effects than other anti-itch medicines.
Adult dose is 4mg 4-6hourly or slow-release 8-16mg 8-12 hourly; maximum dose in 24 hours is 32mg. However, you should read the instructions with the tablets before taking them.

Dr K A Pottinger
MBChB FRCA