Typhoid report showed positive. On cepodem antibiotics. Looking for your suggestion

Cardiologist
Question
My typhoid report shows positive for o and h antigen at 1:40 till 1:160 for both o an h antigen. i have already been under antibiotics cepodem for 10 days. i don't have any symptoms of typhoid but still my test shows positive. and now my doctor has provided me with cepo az 250 mg. So pleaze suggest something. and why its still showing positive.?
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 40 minutes later
Dear,

Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology.
I read your question with diligence.

In some cases Salmonella typhi (the bacteria or bacillus more appropriately, which causes typhoid infection) are very virulent and it always shows variable response to antibiotics. There are documented cases in which this bacilli have found localisation in gall bladder after treatment course is over and patient has become asymptomatic. In second week, when bacillus is still showing antigenic activity, your doctor did the right thing of continuing with stronger antibiotic. For I have seen complications up to 3 weeks after the onset of fever. My suggestion will be follow the doctor's advice- some patients take longer to respond because of the infecting organism is more virulent. Also, please take light meals in discussion with the doctor in 2nd and 3rd week of illness. You do not have symptoms of typhoid because bacilli have been killed and removed of blood at least some of them. Though, positive tests means at least some living bacilli are still present may be in your other systems of blood. These need to be eliminated

If you have any further question I will be most happy to answer.
With Best Wishes.
Dr Anil Grover, Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Typhoid report showed positive. On cepodem antibiotics. Looking for your suggestion 2 hours later
Dear Sir,
Thank you for reply so quick. i also want to bring to your kind notice that. its my second attack. last time from 1st XXXXXXX to 10th XXXXXXX i was treated with antibiotic. But i didn't kept any food restriction. and on 13th XXXXXXX i travelled. and this time i fell very ill. earlier i was not having symptoms of diarrhea. But dis i was more weak and diarrhea was very high. but after i got admited and treatment i beacame well. And how can i diagnose if my gall bladder is affected?

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 48 minutes later
Hi
Well, if it is second attack than gall bladder is not affected for such patients infect others if they are involved in food chain like cook, while remaining asymptomatic themselves.
You ought to be very careful about food you eat. If you have to expose yourself to outside food cooked in unhygienic conditions, it would not be bad idea to go for typhoid vaccine. Discuss with your doctor.

Thanks for using this service.
With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Typhoid report showed positive. On cepodem antibiotics. Looking for your suggestion 57 minutes later
Dear Sir,
I am taking boiled food everyday

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 28 minutes later
That is fine. I was talking food cooked outside. How carefully it is washed, does the cook follows basic hygienic precautions like washing hands before touching food while cooking. You can do everything at home and hospital does it. But any other kitchen in India what water is used to wash the vegetables or for that matter no one can be sure.

With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Typhoid report showed positive. On cepodem antibiotics. Looking for your suggestion 1 hour later
Dear Sir,
What other precautionary measures can i take other than having boiled foods? And how long its going to take for me to be completely free from typhoid?

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Typhoid is water born disease.
1. Take only filtered or boiled and cooled water.
2. Use boiled water for washing the vegetables.
3. Use boiled water for cleaning the utensils.
3. Never eat food about which you do not whether it has been prepared
hygienically
or in utensils which are not cleaned hygienically. Best is to microwave heat the
home food in work place.
4. For non vegetarian, never buy meat or chicken from a place which you do not
know or it is un recognised for its practices of procuring healthy poultry and
meat. Typhoid can spread from even infected hen's egg.
5. Leave cooked food in refrigerator and reheat once only for consumption. Not to
food left at room temperature again even after reheating in summer and rainy
seasons.
This will save you not only from typhoid but other infections like amoebiasis and giardiasis. And other serious illnesses in children like cholera.

With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW