Typhoid fever more than a week, temperature fluctuations. Taking Ceftum, rabemac, rinifol & paracetamol. How many days to recover?

I am suffering from typhoid fever since last thursday.Now its about 9 days but fever is not going.I am on antibiotics treatment.Some days the fever will be till 102.5 and one day it was till 100.8.Are these fluctuations normal in typhoid?How many days will the fever last?I am eating well.The doctor has given Ceftum,Rabemac and Rinifol tablets.The fever goes if i take paracetamol.So he has told me that if the fever is above 101 then it wont come down on its own.So i take Sumo tablets in that case.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Typhoid fever is infection of intestine. In typhoid fever, fever, weakness etc. is common. It is good that you are eating well.

Normally after starting the antibiotic fever should respond in 3-4 days. Normally first thing you will observe is decrease in intensity of fever and increase in interval between fever spikes.

Then gradually the fever subsides.

Please keep a temperature chart and look for the progress. This will help your doctor in knowing your progress.

In case still the fever does not go down, then there are chances of resistant fever, means the organism may not be responding to the antibiotic given. In that case either new drug needs to be added or the antibiotic needs to be changed.

Apart from this, please do the following which should help.

1. Drink plenty of liquids during the day.
2. Take light diet
3. Take proper rest.

You can take paracetamol as per need.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Typhoid fever more than a week, temperature fluctuations. Taking Ceftum, rabemac, rinifol & paracetamol. How many days to recover? 1 hour later
My fever is not coming down but remaining constant around many days does it take for the fever to completely vanish?do i have to take antibiotic through IV?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

I can understand your concern, please understand that as mentioned earlier if there is no response in fever even after 5 days, you need to discuss with your doctor about changing the drug or change the way of administration or hospitalization as per your general condition.

IV route is obviously more effective then oral medicines. Your physician is the best person for making a decision in this case.

As your general condition is good, does not worry please remain in touch with your doctor.

Wishing you speedy recovery.