Type 2 diabetic, suffering from depression, inactivity. had gall bladder removed. high A1C levels. Causes for high bilirubin ?

I'm a 46-year-old female, diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes two years ago. For the first year after my diagnosis, I had gained good control with a 6.3 A1C, 88 Cholesterol, and 112/65 average BP. My endocrinolgist was super - she was encouraging and I thrived. I was active, engaged in my work and in love! I married and moved to another state where I remain with my company, but work via the internet. My life has totally changed and I battle with depression, inactivity. My new endo is rude, condescending and makes me feel worse than I already do. My diabetes control has tanked. My endocrinolgist called today to let me know my A1C was over 12!!! My cholesterol and BP remained the same, but he said I had a 122 reading relative to my bilrubin? I had my gallbladder removed 25 years ago when I was 21. What does the 122 mean?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 6 hours later

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have Jaundice?
2.) Do you have pain abdomen?
3.) Do you drink alcohol?
4.) Do you have Itching?

Your History suggest you have Hyperbilirubinemia as suggested by Increased Bilirubin levels of 122 mg/dl. The normal serum Total bilirubin should be 0.1 to 1mg/dl. and Direct bilirubin should be 0 to 0.3 mg/dL, lower than normal bilirubin levels are usually not a concern. Elevated levels may indicate liver damage or disease as a result of alcohol, medications or many other causes.

Kindly get yourself examined by a Gastroenterologist so that he/she can examine you completely and suggest further tests like Ultrasound scan, CT scan, Blood Work, or Liver biopsy to know the exact cause. Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly. Your treating Doctor will be able to explain it to you better.

Your Blood Sugars are uncontrolled from the past three months. You need to speak to your Endocrinologist as well to know what is going wrong. You may need increase in the dose of medications.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.
3.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.
4.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
5.) Avoid smoking and alcohol, if you do.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.