Type 2 diabetic, no insulin, gets spikes. Visit ER?

At what (high) blood sugar level and/or symptoms should someone head to the ER? My husband is a type 2 diabetic, no insulin. He gets spikes, but when should we really be concerned?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 minutes later

This is a very important question one has to know with diabetics being around you. As for Diabetes Type 2, these patients do not typically develop the severe and XXXXXXX form of high blood sugar known as ketoacidosis. However, type 2 diabetics can develop dehydration and blood sugar high enough to require hospital admission.

Generally, if your husband has weakness, mental status changes or signs of dehydration these are signs to take him to the hospital. Otherwise, a blood sugar higher than 250 would certainly be cause for concern and if that were the case and he were my patient, I would want to see him right away.

If his sugars are spiking, he may need an adjustment of his metformin or possibly an additional medication to help keep the blood sugar more stable. If he is able to exercise, then a few pounds of weight loss can help quite a bit as well.

I hope this answer has been both informative and adequate for you. Should you have additional questions, I am available to address them.