Type-2 diabetic, constipated, having abdominal pain after bowel movement. Having bloody grainy discharge. Advise

Excellent

Question
I have been constiped today and finally had a bowel movement but still had abdominal pain. Keep going to the bathroom. This has gone on for several hours. Just a half hour ago I was back in the bathroom - pain on left as earlier in the day and had a large bloody, grainy discharge. Stomach still bothering me. No appetite, been drinking hot tea with lemon. I am type-2 diabetic and due to recent leg injury (11 stitches left shin) on anti-inflamatory pill once a day. Also had chills, but not now. Hysterectomy 30 years ago.
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Constipation

Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult a Gastro Enterologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Blood in stools is really an alarming symptom, & it's natural that you are concerned.
* Before we think of more serious problems if the blood in stools does not repeat, I would like you to think of few simpler possibilities, if this is the solitary incidence.
- May be you have eaten red food like beet root .This might have stained the stool.
- You are taking daily aspirin and medicines for your shin surgery currently. If these things are taken together & that too on an empty stomach, it may cause raised acidity & bleeding in GI tract. However it will be dark brown or dark tarry stool depending on the site of bleeding. (Gastritis needs a specific treatment under guidance of specialist)
- You had eaten really more, gone to bed after that, got up late- making the stool lie in intestine for a longer time, making it hard. The stress in passing hard stool has injured rectum. This has resulted in bleeding & undigested grainy stools following hard stools. ( a full fast with plenty liquid for24 hours, followed by boiled green vegetable the next day/ get a plain water enema after a doctor's advice.)
* In case the problem recurs, it is advised to consult a Gastroenterologist immediately.
* However it is advisable to consult gastroenterologist & get investigated, as per need & get following possibilities excluded to prevent the problem in future
- Intestinal infection (Bacterial, Amoebic or worms)
- Hemorrhoids( vericosities of rectum)
-anal fissure
- diverticulitis
-Crohn's disease
I feel the answer is both informative & helpful to you. Further query, I would be happy to help.
Thank you.