Type 2 diabetic and in remission. On diet and doing exercise daily. Not on medication. Is it a wrong diagnosis?

I was told last September that I had type 2 Diabetes, I was 170lb now down to around 130 my numbers are all normal when I go for my A1cs now my question is could it been the wrong diagnosis from the start my doctor says I am in remission can that happen, I chose to do this my diet and excercise everyday well most days so I am not on any meds for this. I just want another opinion my numbers in when he first diagnosed me were 11 then next a1c was 9, so am I out of the clear.
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NO, it wasn't a wrong diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

From the information you have provided, the diagnosis of diabetes was correct. An A1C level of 6.5 percent or higher on two separate tests indicates that you have diabetes. Looking at this diagnostic criteria, you clearly have diabetes.

Diabetes is managed principally with lifestyle modifications, diet and exercise. Drugs are only needed if these measures fail to control the diabetes. Your numbers are persistently higher than 6.5% indicating that you have diabetes. It is reducing and has reduced from 11 to 9%. This indicates that the treatment is doing a good job. It is in no way suggestive that your diabetes is in remission. Please, continue with the same measures and make treatment adjustments if the A1C is still higher than 7%.

Take home points:
1. The diagnosis was correct.
2. You are making positive progress as the A1C numbers are dropping.
3. You still have diabetes as evident on your last A1C of 9%(greater than 7%).
4. Intensify your treatment to get to a value of less than 7%.
5. Congrats on the big drop in weight. It would help so much fro the high blood pressure and diabetes.
6. There is no room to talk for a remission in you right now.

I hope this helps and provides guidance to you. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you well.

Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Type 2 diabetic and in remission. On diet and doing exercise daily. Not on medication. Is it a wrong diagnosis? 6 hours later
when i said i was told i am in remission its because my numbers are 5.4,5.5 and haven't changed in 9 months so thats i guess what my doctor ment by remission and i still watch what i eat and go for walks most days. It was a tough year with all the lifestyle changes but i did it. i did go through hell doing these changes and did end up on antidepressants but it is getting better thank you for your response
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
With this suplemental information, I am more confident saying your diabetes is well controlled. I would avoid using remission as it can be very misleading. Continue with the healthy practices and this would be of great help to you. Your A1C numbers are great.Congrats and keep up.

I wish you well. If you have no further related question, may I suggest that you consider closing the discussion? Also do well to hell us with a feedback so that we can act on and better serve you next time.

All the best!
Dr. Ditah, MD