Type 2 diabetic. Stopped taking metformin. How to get blood sugar down?

Aug 2012

How can I get my husband blood sugar down from 250? He is a type 2 diabetic and has had his sugar under control. He was on 1000 mg of metformin but was told he doesn't need it bc of the controlled sugars
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 30 minutes later
Hi there.

I am sorry to know that you are misguided about your husband's sugars. While he was on tab Metformin, his sugars were fine just because he was taking the medication. Hence when he stopped taking it, naturally his sugars went up! It is just easy to restart the tablet again if he does not have any discomfort with it like gastric irritation etc. Metformin is a very safe medication for his age and please do not get misled again. Continuing metformin is in his favour for so many reasons including bringing down the heart risks.
I hope you understand. Get back for any related query. Take care.
Follow-up: Type 2 diabetic. Stopped taking metformin. How to get blood sugar down? 5 minutes later
His blood sugar had been controlled for 3 weeks before the doctor appointment. This is the first spike of sugar this high in months Just took it a hour after it was 250 and he took a metformin and now it's down to 184. Do you think he should continue on metformin at least 1 time a day. He was taking it 2 times a day.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later
Hello again.

He will need both the doses for perfect control. Please do not check the sugars frantically. You should understand the meaning of checking sugars- why the duration is 2 hours post meal, why pre meal and fasting readings are essential.
Once he starts on both the doses, do not stop it and check his fasting sugar, 2 hours post breakfast, 2 hour post lunch and 2 hour post dinner following 15 days. Please do not ignore most important advice that he needs to continue Tab Metformin at any cost with both the doses.