Type 2 diabetic. How can I get tested for insulin resistance?

Aug 2012

Dear sir; how can i test for insulin resistence
I been diagnostic Type 2 Diab. but my fasting never found more than 113 and my 1ac most was 6
most my fasting G found from 80 to 99 most of the time, but when post meals heavy on carb found
blood sugar on 160 or 170 but when eat vegetables and not starches rare found more than 140 what do you thing i can do or what test i can do.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 3 hours later
Hi there.

The test to see how much insulin resistance you have is done in only few centres and that too not on commercial basis. All the institues do that test for research purposes.
The reason this test is not available commercially is because one with type 2 diabetes does not need to do this test at all!
I find your blood sugar control perfectly fine and I do not feel anything is a concern as of now.
Or I did not get your question at all? Please let me know why do you need to check how much insulin resistance you have got. The sugar responses to your carbs or no carbs meals are perfectly natural. When a person does not eat any starch, he still needs sugar in the body for normal functioning. This sugar comes from your liver whether you have diabetes or not. So sugar more than 140 after non-carb meal in a person with diabetes is very much common. I do not think that you should be concerned about this when you follow a very healthy lifestyle and maintain the A1c at 6%.
Please let me know your concern fully in case I have not understood your question. Sorry for that. Take care.