Type 2 diabetic. Had angioplasty done. Taking medicine. Reasons for excessive sweating?

i am continuously and profusely sweating, have no fever or pain and good appetite; i'm european and live temp. in northern thailand. can you help me?
my name is XXXXXXX, i am diabetes 2 and have had angioplasty twice while working in us( 2000 and 2001); use meds since then; i'm from the netherlands and live now temporarily in northern thailand. i have visited hospital in bangkok and chiangrai; got meds (antibiotics and other stuff; feel okay for some time and than it starts all over again; sweating the whole day when i exercise just the slightest efforts. that's my story more or less. any advise?
my e-mail: YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 27 minutes later

At your age and with history of Diabetes and angioplasty there is a risk of You having a silent ischemia of the heart. This is something like a XXXXXXX heart attack without any chest pain which is often seen in diabetics . This can sometimes present with just sweating. I Would advice you to visit your hospital and ask for a TMT (stress test) .

Also I Would advice you to measure your blood sugar level when You have such sweating episode. Once We are Sure we are any other organic illness we Can suggest Other options. Sometimes just a very moist environment Can cause a lot of sweating without warning. Just take alot of fluids and not get dehydrated.

Hope this helps.

Dr. 0m Lakhani
Follow-up: Type 2 diabetic. Had angioplasty done. Taking medicine. Reasons for excessive sweating? 23 hours later
hello dr lakhani,
thanks for your answer.
let me try to understand what your saying. since the condition i have described to you returns regularly and after a period of medicine used and ONLY when i am in thailand, by the way, does that mean that i live continuously in a state of "mini heart atack"? my travel programm is usually, 5 months thailand and than 1 month in the netherlands, where my problem does not take place; i have regular medical check-up when i'm in netherlands and my lab tests always come back with very acceptable levels for cholesterol and sugar; i use 850mg metformine tablets twice daily in addtion to meds to control my cholesterol level; also, you need to know i use a 10mg ambien tablet for sleep every at night already for some years. not good, i know, but without NO SLEEP. i'w walking a lot, climbing stairs, running at the airport, etc.; will ask my GP in netherlands to let me do TMT. thank you
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 7 minutes later

No. Probably you are not having a XXXXXXX heart attack at all but with these symptoms you need to have yourself checked up with your history. All if your sugars and ecg are fine during these sweating episodes you really dont need to worry. You dont need any meds at all just prevention of dehydration.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Om Lakhani.
Follow-up: Type 2 diabetic. Had angioplasty done. Taking medicine. Reasons for excessive sweating? 42 hours later
hello dr. lakhani,
thanks again. allow me one more follow-up question.
as a diabetes 2 person, i do not inject insuline but use 2 times a day 850mg metformine. when visiting dr. in hospital thailand, i have been asked about my bloodsugar values but did not have answer since i'm checked in hosp/lab just 2x per year when i go to the netherlands. is there a way to check those values in an easy way while i'm in rural northern thailand? my daughter is seriously diabetic 1 and has some stuff/equipment to test her sugarlevels at any time she wants/needs. any advice for me? thank you
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 10 minutes later

Should you check you sugar values , the answer is absolutely yes ! Since you are using metformin we dont expect your sugar levels to drop dramatically (what is known as hypoglycemia), however checking your sugar values will help you doctor manage you diabetes better. You can use the glucometer which your daughter might already be using to check her sugar. They can easily be purchased from any medical stores and strips too are easily available.

However compared to you daughter you dont need to check you sugar almost everyday. We generally recommend our type 2 patients to check atleast twice a week and keep a log of the same. You can check all of the following values and keep a record :

1. Fasting blood sugar (before breakfast)
2. 2 hr post lunch
3. before dinner
4. Bedtime.

The more frequently and meticulous recording you do, more it would be helpful for your doctor in managing you diabetes. I would especially advice to check you sugars (with you duaghters glucometer) when you are having these sweating episodes. If your sugars are 300 mg/dl we need to take a closer look at your diabetes management.

Hope that was helpful.

Dr. Om Lakhani