Type 2 diabetes, normal test results, sudden loss of weight. Reason?

Hello Doctor > my name is XXXXXXX (male).178 cm. I am located at Dewas. My age is 29 years. I am not married, before 2 years I was a healthy person having 75 kg. I started loosing weight for unknown reason. I had exercised all tests except blood sugar.
During the past 2 years I lost 22 KG and doctor says that weight loss is due to sugar.
My sugar level first time diagnose was 450 PP.

My diabetic is type 2 -.. (Treatment) Started with Tab Gluconorm for 1 week one tab morning & 1 tab evening but switched to insulin - Bipasic Isophane Insulin Injection I.P. - Human Maxtrad (30% as soluble insulin & 70% as isophane insulin) Morning 16 point & evening 8 point.. & management of food. Due to this now my sugar level is 90 FF & 130 - 180 PP. 2 days back I started taking TAB. Remylin & Bplex – L Z- 1 daily. as advised to me.

My mother & Father are not diabetic. My Mama (55 years) is diabetic but developed after a road accident 10 years back.

My leg (knee, foot ) & hand elbow sensation is normal.

My USG whole abdomen report is > USG whole ab domen do not reveal any abnormality.

My Lipid profile - Cholesterol >147, Triglycerides > 114, HDL (high Density Lipids Cholesterol) –>25, LDL(Cholesterol Direct) > 100, Cholesterol : HDL > 6, LDL:HDL > 4, VLDL Cholesterol > 23
(Method: - Cholesterol – by COD – PAP method, HDL cholesterol – By Clearance method, Triglycerides – By GPO PAP Method)

HIV Test – Non Reactive

Other test –BUN, Creatinine, Sodium, Potasium, Chloride , SGPT & Thyroid & Liver function are in normal range.

ESR – at the end of one hour - 26 mm

Hemoglobin – 15.6 gm%

Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Your diabetes was diagnosed at an age of 29 with no prior family history.

The sudden weight loss you had in one year was due to the uncontrolled blood glucose levels.

Since your diabetes has been detected early, there is no effect on other organs like nerves and kidney.

According to your reports, your bad cholesterol levels are normal while the good cholesterol (HDL) is decreased predisposing you to an average risk for coronary artery diseases.

Lifestyle modifications have an important role in increasing HDL levels along with medicines.

To increase your HDL you can start exercising regularly, stop alcohol and smoking even if you are an occasional drinker.

Taking garlic daily also helps in increasing HDL levels.

If these simple measures do not help in increasing the HDL (you can repeat the test after one month empty stomach) then you can ask your physician to choose a medicine to increase HDL levels that is best for you.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Type 2 diabetes, normal test results, sudden loss of weight. Reason? 20 hours later
Thanks for your reply & advice. I will sure follow your advise. However my main question i.c. treatment for diabetic is unanswered. I am more keen to have your advise on my diabetic problem. What should I do now, please reply in details. I do not wish to continue taking injection - insulin and prefer to take tablet. How the best I can regain my lost weight ?
I will follow diet management & exercise
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

Once the acute high levels of blood glucose are lowered by insulin, the maintenance treatment can be done with the help of oral drugs like -

1. Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors (such as acarbose)- decrease the absorption of carbohydrates from the digestive tract to lower after-meal glucose levels.

2. Biguanides (Metformin)- tells the liver to produce less glucose and help muscle and fat cells and the liver absorb more glucose from the bloodstream. This lowers blood sugar levels.

3.Meglitinides (including repaglinide and nateglinide)- trigger the pancreas to make more insulin in response to the level of glucose in the blood.

4.Sulfonylureas (like glimepiride, glyburide, and tolazamide)- trigger the pancreas to make more insulin. They are taken by mouth.

5.Thiazolidinediones (such as rosiglitazone and pioglitazone)- help muscle and fat cells and the liver absorb more blood sugar when insulin is present. Rosiglitazone may increase the risk of heart problems.

Regarding weight gain eat adequately and whatever has been given in the diet chart not to eat avoid it.You will regain you weight in few months.

Do regular walking and exercises.

Talk to your doctor in detail about all these options and he will suggest you the agent best for you.
Wishing you an early recovery.